As the sole proprietor of AM Painting, LLC, to continue building a profitable business that provides employment opportunities to minority youth and other underserved populations, utilizing my vast experience as a general contractor and a master painter.
- More than 30 years’ experience in general contracting and painting.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Successful history of managing, facilitating, coaching and training.
- Extensive experience in bidding, estimating and budgeting.
- Effective at leadership and/or collaborations.
- Committed to helping individuals reach their profession visions.
- Incorporated AM Painting as a limited liability corporation (LLC) in 2002.
- Since incorporation generated annual revenues in excess of 700K.
- Maintains 4 full time employees and over 25 contract laborers annually.
- Completed approximately 500, 000 thousand square feet of commercial painting within the last 3 years.
- Completed over 4500 residential units within the last 3 years.
- Painted Safety rails and station booths at train stops for SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority).
- Certified as a DBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) with the City of Philadelphia, PA, SEPTA, SBA (Small Business Association), and the State of Pennsylvania.
- Certified as a MBE (Minority Business Enterprise) with the state of Pennsylvania.
General Contractor Competencies
- Planning all phases of a construction project. This includes estimating the cost of materials and staffing.
- Managing expense involved in securing permits.
- Pricing out cost of equipment that must be leased or purchased.
- Preparing a budget.
- Preparing a timetable for phases of project to ensure completion dates are met.
- Providing temporary utilities on site.
- Disposing or recycling of construction waste.
- Maintaining accurate records.
Interacting With Others
- Interacting with architect for design and/or engineer for mechanical aspect of project.
- Work with other professional specialists or sub-contractors, such as landscape architects, master electricians or demolition engineers.
- Direct contact with client to advice on progress and issues that might arise.
- Hiring and instructing new workers on the specifics of the job.
- Making sure that all laws and regulations are followed.
- Being knowable about local ordinances.
- Following all applicable labor laws.
- Adhering to the safety regulations for various jobs and equipment operators and ensuring that employees comply.
Responding to Emergencies
- Prepared to handle any type of emergency that may arise, such as worker injuries and/or equipment failure.
- Delivery of materials delays.
- Inclement weather.
- Securing medical attention for an injured worker.
- Locating back-up equipment.
- Expediting a supply order.
- Keeping project on track and staying on budget.
Master Painter Competencies
- Preparing and painting interior and exterior surfaces.
- Understanding different kinds of paints and paint mixtures.
- Familiarity with mixing color of paints.
- Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel and other finishes to equipment, buildings, bridges, and/or other structures using brushes, spray guns or rollers.
- Applying primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats.
- Calculating amounts of required materials and estimating costs, based on surface measurements.
- Filling cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster or other filling, using caulking guns or putty knife.
- Mixing and matching of paint, stain, or varnish with oil and thinning and drying additives in order to obtain desired colors and consistencies.
- Polishing final coats to specified finishes.
- Removing old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water and/or abrasive blasting.
- Smoothing surfaces using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool and/or sanding machines.
- Washing and treating surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations, and sand rough spots to ensure that finishes will adhere properly.
- Erecting scaffolding and swing gates, or set up ladders, to work about ground level.
- Selecting and purchasing tools and finishes for surfaces to be covered, considering durability, ease of handling, methods of application, and customer’s wishes.
- Spraying or brushing hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Using special finishing techniques such as sponging, ragging, layering, or faux finishing.
- Waterproofing buildings, using water proofers and caulking
Partial List of Projects
- Art Institute of Philadelphia, 1622 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19103
- Science Leadership Academy, 44 N. 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Midtown Apartments, 1600 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Cescaphe Ballroom, 923 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19123
- Vie Restaurant, 600 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Metro Club, 201 N. 8th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Avenue of the Arts, 1440 Mt. Vernon Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19130
- Philadelphia Management Group, 1411 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Cescaphe Event Group, 923 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19123
- Columbus Construction Company, 1930 S. 25th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19145
- T. J. Properties, 4165 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Project Manager/Vice President
- Developing Budgets
- Process Improvement
- Inventory Control
- Customer Service
- Verbal Communications
- Performance Management
- Recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees.
- Communicating job expectations
- Planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions.
- Planning and reviewing compensation actions
- Enforcing policies and procedures.
- Achieves operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews.
- Preparing and completing action plans.
- Implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards.
- Resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends
- Determining system improvements and implementing change.
- Meeting financial objectives by estimating; forecasting requirements; preparing budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in professional development educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhancing department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.